From Tamale Spaceship, the best tamales in Chicago, to Global Garden’s Bee’s and Seeds, a refugee urban farm and community garden, World Business Chicago and Mayor Rahm Emanuel launched a new project that has communities funding small businesses working to build better communities. Seed Chicago, Chicago’s official curated Kickstarter page, highlights projects that create jobs and encourage economic growth at a neighborhood level.
“It is our principal mission to ensure that neighborhood has a bustling economy, cultural and educational anchors, and local jobs so that Chicago can continue to grow and prosper on the world’s stage.” said Mayor Emanuel.
Using Kickstarter, the project creators can engage potential investors to help their small business blossom. There are 11 diverse projects, featuring everything from a Garfield Park Fresh Food market to a training center in Englewood that would teach people the art of Hair Braiding with state certification. Over time, more community projects will be added to the page. You can apply to participate here.
Here is a complete list of the 11 projects involved:
- Englewood: Altogether Lovely hair salon owner opening hair braiding and maintenance training school. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1229006171/learn-the-ancient-art-of-african-hair-braiding
- Garfield Park: Garfield Park Community Council creating fresh food market and pop up coffee stand. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1528625959/a-fresh-food-market-with-a-mission
- Lakeview: Second Act LLC breast prosthetic business seeking funds to create educational video for breast cancer survivors to be distributed to healthcare professionals. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1093981094/post-breast-surgery-educational-video
- Logan Square: Beauty & Brawn art gallery seeking funds to create photography educational program for youth in the neighborhood. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1934479244/its-a-beautiful-day-in-my-neighborhood-photo-proje
- Pilsen: Tamale Spaceship food truck seeking funds to establish permanent restaurant location. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/956606471/tamalespaceship-restaurant
- Wicker Park: MaZi Dance Studio opening third location. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/179461264/mazi-dance-chicago\
- Albany Park: North River Commission Albany Park Global Garden helping refugees assimilate into U.S. culture by training them as market gardeners; will use funds to build beehives and a seed-saving production facility. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/581743209/global-gardens-bees-n-seeds
- Englewood: Growing Homes Urban Garden and Farm looking to purchase second hoop house/green house for workforce training programs. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15862127/harvesting-hope
- Englewood: Teamwork Englewood developing program to teach software programming and coding to Englewood youth. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1348602678/englewood-codes
- Logan Square: Architreasures creating art mosaics on Fullerton Avenue business corridor http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513124502/logan-square-impressions
- Pilsen: The Resurrection Project seeks to host a bi-monthly marketplace featuring cultural events and local businesses. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/85135014/unisono-en-el-zocalo
Visit: http://www.kickstarter.com/pages/seedchicago for more information.